Foreign language learners should take heed and take advantage of outside motivational factors to improve their learning curve. Improved physical conditioning renders a greater capactity for increased mental activity. Exercise to improve cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength, decrease fatigue and reduce anxiety, depression and improve self-esteem and quality of life. Before deciding on any exercise plan, consult with your doctor, especially if you have not exercised for a great length of time.
The physical benefits of regular exercise include:
- Improved cardiovascular fitness
- Reduced risk of premature death
- Reduced cholesterol level
- Reduced blood pressure
- Maintenance of a healthy weight
- Improved muscle tone.
One should start low-intensity exercises and then add time, intensity, interval and number of times done a week in a progressive exercise program.
- A healthy diet with five to nine colorful fruits and vegetables.
- Increase whole grains versus refined grains and sugars.
- Decrease red meats and fatty foods.
- Weight control with a healthy diet.
- Exercise daily for more than thirty minutes, which will help decrease fatigue.
- Avoid alcohol intake.
When exercising, keep in mind to
- Choose a range of fun activities.
- Ask a family member, friend or loved one to be an exercise partner, as lack of motivation is one of the key characteristics of depression.
- Exercise two to five times per week.
- Make the length of each exercise session at least thirty minutes.
- Exercise at around 60 to 70 per cent of your maximum heart rate. To calculate your maximum heart rate, subtract your age from 220.
- Remember to thoroughly warm up and cool down.
- Live a more active lifestyle – walk instead of using the car for short trips, or avoid the use of labor-saving devices when possible.
If you are under the impression that exercise is boring, exercise with a friend: physical activity does not have to be a solitary pursuit. Also, consider taking your childhood sports back up. Maybe you have forgotten just how fun they were. Better yet, teach your children what you learned as a child. Physical activity is all about getting more movement into your day. The activities should also be fun: improve your sex life. Plan to participate in a range of physical activities. If you find yourself unable to turn off the television in your bedroom, take advantage of a stationary bike or treadmill, instead of just letting it collect dust, while you watch your favorite television programs on all the multitude of channels you are subscribed to. 😛